Monday 27 January 2014

Walt Disney World Cultural Representative Program: Application Advice

Hey guys! 

So ever since I announced to the world that I'm going to work for the Mouse at Walt Disney World in Florida, I've been bombarded with questions, one of the most frequent being
"How did you manage that?!" 

For that reason I've decided to do a series of blog posts to help those of you who, like myself, fancy earning and learning at the Happiest Place on Earth.




My Disney journey started when applications for the program opened on August 1st 2013. They were supposed to open a month later on 1st September, so I was freaking out a bit that what I planned to write hadn't been as obsessively drafted and re-drafted as I had envisioned in my head in all the time leading up to the applications. However I'd had plenty of time to stew over what I was going to say and do my research, as I'd decided to apply in March soon after I'd broken up with my boyfriend.

My first BIG tip is - read CRP blogs! They are an invaluable tool and a fountain of knowledge. I must've spent hours scouring the web for information and writing down the important bits. I found it truly strengthened my application and made things so much easier. So if you're reading this, you're already doing one thing right :) I'll link to some other useful blogs at the bottom of the page.




A selection of the notes I made

UK applications are made through a recruitment company called Yummy Jobs, who work on behalf of Disney to select appropriate applicants. First things first, create an account and start filling out your form. 

Most of the stuff they ask is pretty standard; personal and contact information, about your education and previous work experience. Always try to be concise and keep it relevant. Think about which aspects of your previous experience would help you if you were to work at Disney and then make sure to highlight these. 

The jobs available to UK applicants are Merchandise, Food & Beverage or working at the Historical Research Centre. Merch means working in the shops selling things like tea and Beatles memorabilia, Food & Beverage entails serving fish and chips or being a barmaid at the Rose & Crown pub and the HRC is involved in looking at a guest's family tree and providing them with coats of arms, specially made swords and the like (usually you need a degree in History or similar to have a good chance here). 

If you know which of these you want to go for, that can also help with your application. A large percentage of applicants get placed in F&B as this is where they need the most people, plus the wages can be very good once you get into a tipped position (after you're about 3 months into your program) so I geared my application towards an F&B role.

The MOST IMPORTANT part of the online application is the Additional Questions section. "Why do you value cultural exchange and interaction?" and "What is your motivation for this program?" are the two boxes that can make you stand out. Focus especially on love of culture - both your own and other peoples. 

Covering Letters never used to be compulsory though now they are. I would have recommended writing one regardless as I think they give you extra brownie points.

We're almost done. Last but not least you will be required to upload a photograph of yourself. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, get one taken especially. Disney don't want to see a cropped Facebook photo, it looks like you've made no effort. I got all freshened up and went to a photo booth myself. 

So that's all you need to know for Stage 1! 

Applications for dates leaving in Autumn/Winter 2014 and Spring 2015 opened on Friday 24th January so get yours in now - you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Even the application stage is a great experience in itself. I met loads of cool people during my interviews and on the Facebook group, some of whom will be joining me in the Sunshine State and while others will be going on to different adventures. Follow Yummy Jobs on Facebook so you know when applications will be opening and closing for their programs - and good luck!





Useful Links

  • WDWIP - The International Program forums, where you can talk with other applicants.
  • Working the Magic - Harriet has such a gorgeous blog and has done both the ICP and CRP.
  • Dan @ Disney - I was lucky enough to meet Dan at my F2F Interview. He is one of the experts and is extremely knowledgable about all things Disney IP.
  • Hattan Times Does Disney - "Hello you lovely lot!" Adam was famous amongst applicants at my interviews, such is his standing in the CRP world, plus his vlogs are stellar.
  • Catherine's Magical Year - Catherine has done the ICP twice, CRP and just finished working for Disney Cruises.
  • Disney IP YouTube Channel - Lots of informative videos about the programs.
  • Jen & The Disney CRP - Jen is great because she has kept up her blog well into her time in Florida - I hope to do the same!

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I'd like to participate in a program such as the cultural representative program at Disney but I'm not eligible because I'm from Iceland. Do you know of any other options for me? Do you maybe know some foreign participants not from the eligible countries that have either been accepted anyways or been accepted through some other program? (student programs are not an option)
    Hope you can help me out :)
    - Saga

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, Olivia, thank you for all the wonderful and practical information. Do you know who is the person and/or department I should address in my cover letter for the CRP in Florida? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi ,would like to participate in the cultural exchange program help me with writing the cover letter or you mind to send me your cover letter to use as benchmacH, thanks

    ReplyDelete