Friday 31 January 2014

Chinese New Year and Latin Dancing

Kung hei fat choy!

Today marks the Chinese New Year and 2014 is the Year of the Horse. 



Being a Horse myself, as well as a total horoscope fanatic (I was raised on it, like a second religion) I was curious to know more about the meaning behind this mystical celebration...

  • There are twelve animals in the Chinese Zodiac: the Rat, the Ox, the Tiger, the Rabbit, the Dragon, the Snake, the Horse, the Ram, the Money, the Rooster, the Dog and the Boar.
  • According to legend, Buddha invited all the animals on Earth into his presence, but these were the only twelve to show up. The reason for his invitation varies; from his death, to a race, to a banquet. Whatever the cause, the above order is that in which the animals appeared.
  • Chinese New Year can be traced back as early as 2600 BC. 
  • It always falls on the second New Moon after the Winter Solstice. 
  • Much like the Modern Zodiac, your date of birth aligns you with a symbolic animal, which gives an indication of your personality. The Chinese refer to it as, "The animal that lives inside your heart."
Horses are supposed to be popular, cheerful, wise, talented and real flirts. I'll leave it up to those who know me to decide whether this is an accurate description!

We're also most compatible with Tigers, Dogs and Rams. 

(FYI Eddie Redmayne is a Dog, I'll add that to the PILE of evidence I have already assembled that proves we are meant.to.be.)

Whilst doing my research I also discovered that Benedict Cumberbatch is a Dragon, which seems very fitting after his recent role as Smaug in The Hobbit.

Superstitions: Do's and Don'ts for Chinese New Year

DO
  • Wear red - the luckiest colour as far as the Chinese are concerned. If you're really dedicated you're supposed to paint your doorways and window ledges in a bright hue, but I settled for wearing a little red ribbon tied around my wrist, which was a gift from a little girl at work...

  • Pay all your debts - it's believed that if you don't pay your debts today you will end the year in debt also. I can't say I really did this one, but I paid my rent and a good portion of my student overdraft and I'm gonna say that counts.
  • Clean the house, to wash away any ill-fortune from the previous year. However, make sure not to do any sweeping today as this is apparently bad luck.
DON'T
  • To counteract what I've said above, don't be lather-rinse-repeating today as washing hair is said to wash away good luck. In a similar vein, no haircuts or use of sharp implements as they may 'cut off' good fortune.
Being superstitious I've followed all of these, although it's unfortunate that I'm not allowed to wash my hair on the day of my first Zumba class!

I've got to say, I'm already addicted. It felt so good to be dancing again, I haven't busted any proper moves since I graduated from University. Tomorrow I'm booking in for next week's class! Emma Watson and Natalie Portman are both fans, so it goes without saying I was going to love it. It's taken a while for me to act on my resolution to live a more active lifestyle, but I think the impending bikini weather of Florida has been a real motivator for me ;)

Can't wait until next year, when I'll be celebrating the Year of the Ram at the China Pavilion in EPCOT.


No comments:

Post a Comment