Thursday 27 February 2014

Walt Disney World CRP: The Pre-Screen Interview

Greetings Mouseketeers and welcome to another Disney CRP related post. 

Being a member of the WDW CRP Applicants Facebook Page means I've been kept in the loop for the next round of applications, which just as well as I will be working with some of these people in the near future! Word on the street is the Pre-Screen Interviews are tomorrow, so here is a record of my experience as well as a few pointers:

When did you find out you were through to the next stage? 
I received an email from Yummy Jobs on Friday 20th September inviting me to the next stage of the application process, the Pre-Screen Interview. On the CRP Application Timeline, this was about a month and a half after applications had opened (August 1st) and a mere 4 days after they'd closed (September 16th).

When is the Pre-Screen Interview?
My interview took place on Sunday 6th October, so two weeks after I received the email. This, to me, was more than enough time to prep especially since I'd been scouring blogs and the International Program message boards since March.

What exactly happens?
The interview is held at the Brasserie Blanc Restaurant, Southbank, London. Mine didn't start until 2pm but they can also start at 9am. The first hour is dedicated to showing you a very exciting video presentation all about life on the CRP; where you work, where you live, what you do for fun. It makes you practically bounce up and down in your seat - and if you didn't want this job badly enough already, you sure as heck do now. 

Once the presentation is over and there's been time for questions you will be split into groups of around 8 people. Group interviews will then commence and they last an hour. 

In addition to general questions, part of my interview included picking a couple of 'typically British' items off the menu from the Rose & Crown Pub (situated in the UK Pavilion, EPCOT) and selling them to my interviewer, who became the 'customer'. So try to do some research into why Bubble and Squeak is so called, or how best to describe a Yorkshire Pudding (two questions I genuinely had to tackle during this process).

Also, you will have been asked to bring an item with you that you feel best represents either your country, your hometown or both. Get up, show it to the group and tell them why you picked it and what it means to you. After that, you're all done! You can go home and breathe.



Tips
  • Make a Facebook event for your interview so you can meet up with your fellow applicants beforehand. As our interview was in the afternoon, my batch all grabbed a bite at the Pizza Express next door. This is makes you so much more relaxed, gives you a support system and shows Yummy Jobs you're great with new people. Plus you end up making a load of news friends and everyone is really interesting. I'm still in touch with girls I met at the Pre-Screen who didn't make it through and keeping track of their other adventures via Facebook is inspiring (Disney IP applicants are always going places!)
  • When you first enter the room, don't be shy. Say hello, be enthusiastic, converse with those around you. Look happy and comfortable.
  • It's a good idea to memorise a few factoids if you wanna be in for winning a little prize. YJ usually do a mini pop-quiz during the presentation to see how well you know your stuff. Questions normally include: when did Walt Disney World Florida open (Magic Kingdom, the first of the parks, opened on October 1st 1971, EPCOT followed on the same date in 1982) and which countries are included in the World Showcase (bonus points if you get them in order).
  • Group interview questions will be fired at all of you at once, then you take it in turns to answer. There is no system to this, so I always tried to answer first or second. You want to show enthusiasm and assertiveness without being pushy. When you're not talking, be interested in other people's answers.
  • Let your personality shine through. They're interested in finding out about who you are.
  • Everyone is really nice so don't panic! Nick, Jason and Louise from Yummy Jobs interviewed us and they were all absolutely lovely people. Remember, interviewers aren't against you or trying to catch you out - they want you to do well.
  • Questions! I know you guys are going to want to know about questions. I have a list as long as my arm of the ones I used for my interview prep, which I found on various blogs. I think only about 50% of them came up but I can't remember which were asked in Pre-Screen and which in Face to Face, so I'm just going to follow this with a Questions Master Post. 
  • Smile! Smile, smile, smile. You're going to need to be good at that if you wanna work for Disney.
  • Remember to thank your interviewers for their time before you leave.
  • Finally, display good knowledge of Disney and the Program and show how much you love your country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment